Wednesday 3 April 2013

If You Need The Dough . . . .

Can I open my eyes yet?  Is it all over?  Can I get back to blogging or are some of us still coming out of Egypt?   Well I need to get this aired as soon as possible because I've had it on my mind for over a week so I must proceed: 

Picture a house that is from roof to roots, Kosher Le'Pesach.  Every inch and millimetre either toiveled, sold or paskened about, and every food item signed for, sealed and stamped with KLP ink.  Now imagine the magnificent seder plate, the glorious table, the bright rooms, the shining faces, the whole of pesach stretching out before us like a week in Utopia. 

Upon this scene in walks some kind of joke, wrapped in a packet of green foil housing a snack marked KOSHER FOR PASSOVER and bearing the name of a Rabbi.  The ingredients are barely edible even without pesach considerations, but when I got to  "....yeast extract" I almost choked.

Yeast extract??  Does this mean I could be putting marmite on my matzah??  Or that this hechsher is worthless and our home has been unwittingly defiled (after all our combined efforts) ???  Or is it as I learnt at one of the shiurim posted on this blog before the festival began:  that chometz hasn't been definitively defined yet so we can't prepare for pesach properly even if we start 3 years in advance?

In future, before I spend any money on a hechsher, I will ask the approving rabbi/authority to verify that the hechsher is worth its weight in gold.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever makes you think that todays yeast is chomets. Just because it can make a dough rise doesnt make it chomets. In the olden times and used today by most bakers yeast was dough left over from the week before which happens to be chomets even though its inedible.
    I have often wondered which sem you went to. Better not tell us or else no one else will send his daughters there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Blogs went to Hogworts surely. (Or should that be vorts?)

      Delete
  2. Never mind what sem I went to - can I grow my own yeast, from potatoes for example, for pesach?

    ReplyDelete